Canon printers are known for their incredible performance and cost-effective printing. These printers are highly favoured by users for varied home and office printing needs. However, printing is not always smooth with the Canon printers and issues do arise when printing a task. Canon printer offline is an annoying error in the list that can obstruct you from printing an important document. Luckily, this issue can be resolved with the correct information on the possible reasons and troubleshooting solutions. This post serves the same purpose, which is to make you aware of the possible reasons and resolution of Canon Printer offline error. Let’s proceed further!
What Are the Apparent Reasons Behind Canon Printer is Offline Issue?
There are multiple factors that can make your Canon printer go offline. It is crucial to know about the possible reasons behind the error before you proceed further to fix them:
- There is a connectivity issue with your Canon printer.
- When the printer is in sleep mode.
- Canon printer error can be closely related to a sluggish Internet connection.
- A malicious attack from a virus or malware.
- When printer drivers become unsupportive after updating Windows.
- A printer in paused mode can also make your Canon printer go offline.
- Jammed paper in the paper tray.
- An empty paper tray is also a possible reason behind the error.
- The hardware, such as loose wire or USB cable can also evoke the error.
- Corrupt printer drivers can also make your Canon printer prone to offline error.
How Do I Get My Canon Printer Back Online?
Canon printer is offline message can be annoying when it comes out of nowhere and block you from printing your pictures and documents. Here, you can find some of the relevant solutions that can help you suppress the possible reasons behind the error. Follow them one after the other to check if it resolves the issue or not:
Solution 1: Make Sure That the Connection Between Your Printer & WIFI is Intact
Canon printer offline issue is closely related to the connectivity issue with your printer. First thing first, you need to reconnect your printer with WIFI. Follow the below-given steps to complete the procedure:
- In the first place, you need to “Forget” the router to disconnect it from your printer.
- Thereafter, reconnect it with your printer. You may also use a USB to connect them both.
- Alternatively, you may choose to connect your WIFI printer wirelessly with an Internet router. To do so, you need to open the WIFI Wizard Setup and window on your touch screen printer and connect it.
- Press and hold the WIFI button on your printer until the WIFI light starts to blink.
- When the printer starts blinking the blue light, go to your WIFI router and press the WPS button.
Following the above steps carefully, you can get your printer connected with the WIFI again.
Solution 2: Disable the “Use Printer Offline” Feature on Your Computer
Sometimes, your printer shows offline when the “Use Printer Offline” feature is enabled. In such a case, you need to disable this feature on your computer by following the below-given steps:
- Click the Start button on your PC and then type Control Panel in the search area.
- Next, you need to select the ‘Hardware and Sound” from the sub-categories list.
- Thereafter, click on Devices and Printers on the next window that appears on your computer screen.
- Moving ahead, right-click on your Canon printer and click “See what’s printing.
- Now select the drop-down menu and then click on Printer from the list.
- Here, you need to make sure that the Use printer offline option is not check-marked. If the checkbox is marked, uncheck it.
- Save the changes and then click Cancel all documents.
- In the end, try connecting your Canon printer again to fix the error.
If the Canon printer is still offline, then move to the next troubleshooting procedure.
Solution 3: Restart Your Printer Spooler
The Printer Spooler is an important utility in the Canon printer that handles all the jobs that are sent to the printer. Restarting the printer spooler can fix the Canon printer offline error. The below-given steps can get the task accomplished:
- On your keyboard, press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run window.
- In the Run box, type services.msc in the box and click Enter.
- When the Services window opens, you will be able to locate the list of the Windows services. Click on any service and continuously press P until it highlights the Printer Spooler.
- Proceeding further, right-click on the Printer Spooler when the drop-down menu appears, and select Properties.
- Now n the General Tab, select the Stop option located underneath Service status. Click OK to save the changes.
- The previous step will make the printer spooler deactivated for the time being. You may now delete the printing jobs.
- To do so, go to the Window Explorer and open C drive.
- Now follow the given series of action >> Windows >> System32 >> Spool >> PRINTERS.
- Click Continue when you are asked for permission on the popup message.
- Now you will see a folder opening on your screen. Here, close the window and go back to the General tab.
- Again, start the spooler service and set the spooler’s Startup Type as Automatic.
- In the end, restart your PC and try to print a test job to verify if the error is resolved.
Solution 4: Update Your Canon Printer Drivers
If none of the above-described solutions works on the error resolution, it means that the drivers of your printer are erroneous. In such a case, you need to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them manually to resolve the error. You may download them from the Canon’s official website and proceed further with the installation steps as given below:
- Open the Run box (Windows + R) and then open the Device Manager.
- Now in the submenu, select Print Queues.
- Moving ahead, right-clicks on the printer hardware and then select the Update Driver.
- When you see the “How do you want to search for the driver?” prompt on your screen, select- ‘Browse my computer for driver software, and move ahead.
- Thereafter, you need to choose to install the driver options for the printer by following the on-screen instructions with your full attention.
- Now update the drivers.
- Once done, reboot your system and check if the Canon printer is offline error is resolved or not.
Solution 5: Look for the Printer’s Hardware Issues
These are multi-faceted hardware issues in your Canon printer that can make your printer go offline. In such a case, you need to look for the possible hardware issues and fix them by applying the relevant steps:
5.1: Remove Paper Jam
A jammed paper in the Canon Printer can make it show offline. In such a case, you need to remove the jammed paper to resolve the issue. When removing the jammed paper, you need to consider a few crucial points stated below:
- When removing the jammed paper, make sure that the printer is turned on. If not, the data being printer will be deleted.
- Don’t apply excessive force in removing the paper, otherwise, it will be jammed or cause damage to the printer parts. Pull out the paper gently in the right direction with the appropriate force.
- In case, the paper gets torn, make sure that all the remaining pieces are removed.
- If you remove the jammed paper without removing the cover, the error message will continue to show up. In such a case, open and close the cover to resolve the issue.
5.2: Low Ink Cartridge
A low level of the ink cartridge is also one of the apparent reasons that can make your Canon printer go offline. In such a case, you need to hold the printer’s stop/reset button for five seconds. Once this is done, you will no more receive the updates about the printer levels and the Canon printer is offline issue will be resolved.
5.3: Check If Your Printer Is in Sleep Mode
To check if the printer does not have sleep mode enabled, you need to perform the below-given steps:
- In the first place, go to Control Panel and then select Devices and Printers.
- Moving ahead, right-click on the faulty printer and select Printer Preferences.
- Now try to locate the option to disable sleep or time-out mode.
- Alternatively, you may right-click on the printer and select Printer Properties to find a similar function.
- Also, your printer’s help guide or manufacturer’s support desk can help you with the error.
Solution 6: Reset Your Printer
Resetting the printer makes it an entirely new printer internally. On resetting, the printer forgets all the settings, including date and time settings and you need to reconfigure it from the scratch. Also, you need to perform the WIFI connection setup from the beginning to resolve the error.
Canon printer is offline is undeniably a perplexing error that needs your attention and effort to get resolved. The solutions described in this post can help you in troubleshooting this error. If you need further assistance on this when feeling unease with these solutions, reaching out to an experienced professional can be your best bet. Hope you find this post informative and helpful.